Consumers Prioritize Protection Over Convenience in McAfee 2022 Trends Survey
Individuals and families feel more exposed and ill-equipped to secure their digital lives
- While life online is loaded with conveniences, they’re not enough. People want to be secure.
- Consumers want a protected connection, even if it costs them.
- Gamers will take a pass on so-called “free” videogames.
- AI monitoring of healthcare? Not so fast.
- Cryptocurrency fraud like the “Squid Game” scam will sour consumer taste for fintech.
- Vax cards are the new credit cards, and Americans want them protected.
- Online learning and consultations will increasingly take root with consumers—above and beyond COVID necessities.
“Almost every aspect of our lives now intersects the digital world. This requires greater levels of information to be shared with an increasing number of applications and organizations through the Internet. Safeguarding this information requires a combination of strong security architecture of applications along with good user hygiene, such as strong passwords and multi factor authentication,” said McAfee’s Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer
A reoccurring theme throughout the survey was a shift to being fully protected over other benefits such as convenience and cost. This emphasis on strong protection is particularly acute in healthcare, for which 69% of respondents opted to keep their information private and secure, over utilization of new capabilities like AI.
In-depth findings for the top seven trends are available in the country specific factsheets.
Country Fact Sheets
2021 presented unique risks, further increased digital adoption, and shifts around traditional activities online. It is imperative that consumers around the globe take action to keep themselves and their families safe, secure, and protected to best enjoy life online in 2022. For more information on how to stay safe online, visit our blog.